The Codys New Brunswick Digital Library is a venue for sharing families and communities stories past and present. Every family and rural community can cultivate it own history, providing living people with meanings inherited from the people of the past. One doesn't have to be a history buff to truly appreciate the stories and events that have made a place what it is today. Take a trip back in time with this collection of digital images of Codys history and development, a continually transforming community. Preserving history, one image at a time.
Featured Digital Collections
When he was 40 years old, Michael Hetherington would visit Codys occasionally to visit the family graveside of his grandparents Arthur Palmerston Hetherington, Sr. and Dorothy Ardis (Robinson) Hetherington and maintain the family cemetery, at the request of his father. His visits lead to questions about the burial of other Hetherington's in the graveyard. Michael's parents were the answer to his questions that inspired his passion to learn about his family history.
Years later, Michael borrowed from Queens County Heritage several boxes containing file folders of pictures, old letters, papers, and writings belonging to his grandfather, A. P. Hetherington; donated by the Hetherington family to Queens County Heritage, as it was believed that there would be no interest in the family to keep these items.
Michael's desire to learn more of his family history, and the community of Codys, is the transcription and compilation of his grandfather's writings through a book: A Collection of Memories and Short Stories, by Arthur Palmerston Hetherington, Sr.
Michael takes pleasure in travelling to Codys to maintain the family cemetery and visit family that continue to reside in the community of Codys.
Michael and his wife, Cathy, own a small family business In Loving Memory Monument Restoration - headstone restoration and cleaning.
Photo: Hetherington, Michael. A Collection of Memories and Short Stories, by Arthur Palmerston Hetherington, Sr. (2018.)
In 1914, Thomas Palmerston Hetherington was a travelling farm equipment salesman. He became involved in the Hotel business from 1905 -1914 in Alberta. He managed the Strassburg Hotel from 1905-1911, and the Last Mountain Hotel from 1911-1914, before divesting his business interests and returning home to Codys, New Brunswick, and going into business with his brother Dr. Judson Hetherington and Dr. William B. Wallace in what would become "The Hetherington Brothers" Store. Thomas Hetherington invested $3000.00 in the store. The deal was consummated in 1915.
The first Hetherington Brothers Store was built by George Milton Thorne in 1910 and operated by George Thorne & De Orlon Perry. De Orlon's daughter, Carrie Alice Perry, was born in the store's apartment on Thursday, February 2, 1911. George Thorne's daughter, Susanna "Susie" Thorne, was also born over the store's apartment the previous year on Friday, December 23, 1910.
Most of the summer freight for the store came on the steamer Majestic. If containers were not theft proof, there were usually losses of oranges or candy. Chocolate bars were just coming on the market in the area.
Cars were uncommon in Codys at the time. Dr. Judson Hetherington owned a Packard and not long after his acquisition of the Packard, his daughters, Katherine and Virginia Hetherington would share a Ford Model T. By 1918, Irwin Thompson sold gasoline in Codys and Albert Akerley would make the trip from the Narrows to purchase three gallons of gas at a time. Codys was an up-an-coming place and people from the Narrows would often make the trip to Codys to buy gasoline. James "Jim" Gamblin, Dr. Gilbert Hetherington's son-in-law, also owned a Model T and often taxied for Dr. Gilbert Hetherington to visit his patients. Gilbert Hetherington's main stand-by was a covered carriage in summer and a sleigh in winter, both drawn by his black horse named "Glen." Gilbert Hetherington was a medical doctor and practiced first in Saint John, New Brunswick, then later in Boston, Massachusetts, and finally at Coles Island, New Brunswick.
The first Hetherington Brothers Store was destroyed by fire in April, 1921. It was a miracle that no lives were lost and that no one was living in the store at that time, except for Thomas Hetherington who narrowly escaped in the fire, and the only thing he managed to save was a big trunk which he threw down the outside stairs of the store. Thomas immediately set up another store in the building built by Isaac Newton Thorne father down the hill from where the first Hetherington Brothers Store was located. Eliza Jane (Farquharson) (Schroeder) Perry owned the upper storey, while the store below was used for storage, and after the 1921 fire this would become the Hetherington Brothers "new store." Eliza was George Milton Thorne's mother-in-law.
In the next several years, Cedric Connell owned and operated Connell's Store from this location with his first wife Mary L. Somerville Connell. He delivered mail for many years. Their principle residence was above the store. Through the years this house has changed many hands. This historic home is owned by Ms. Heather McAlpine who operates Crafted Images Pottery from the premises in the lower portion of this building.
Photos: Hetherington, Michael. A Collection of Memories and Short Stories, by Arthur Palmerston Hetherington, Sr. 2018. Email. July 20, 2020.. Text Citations: Hetherington. (2018), para. 1-5. pp. 13, 17, 25, 29, 31.
Formerly, James Wilfred Kincade and Daisy (Browne) house, situated across the Codys (Salmon Creek) Brook, which occupied both sides of the road. A driveway extended along the left bank of the brook through the Kincade property to the residence and shoe-making shop of Isaac Van Buren Hetherington and his wife Adelia Addie (Perry).
James and Daisy Kincade had fourteen children: Hazel Doris (Kincade) MacLean (1920-2015); Norval Everett Kincade (1924-2014); Bessie (Betty) Ella (Kincade) Erb (1927-2014); Ronald Douglas Kincade (1930-2012); N. Velzora (Kincade) Todd (1932-2018); Margaret Doreen (Kincade) Shaw (1938-2011); Donna K. Varga (- 2003); Verna Jean Kincade; Zelda Carle; Joanna Manning; Vera Erb; Russell L. Kincade; and two infant sisters, Shirley Kincade (1935-1935); Glenna Bernice Kincade (1940-1940);
In the next several years, Donald and Mary Jenkins would come into possession of James and Daisy Kincade's house. The Jenkins' renovated and made extensive structural repairs to the house, shown in the photo top left. The couple had three children: Gordon Jenkins (1933-2009); Grace Mary (Jenkins) Morgan (1935-2010); David Jenkins.
In 1969, at the age of 9, Kevin Crannie, Toronto, Ontario, was placed in the foster care of Donald and Mary Jenkins. He lived with the Jenkins' until 1982.
In the early 2000's, Kevin and Debbie Ryan purchased the house, previously owned by Mary Jenkins. Kevin and Debbie lovingly restored the house. Kevin Ryan passed away at the age of 51, on Friday, July 16, 2010, after a brave battle with cancer. Debbie Ryan continues to live in the house.
Photos: Crannie, Kevin. Formerly, James Wilfred Kincade House. Codys, New Brunswick. Photograph. 1973-2007. JPEG file.
Sunday, December 25, 1927, after Christmas dinner, Dr. Judson Hetherington unveiled plans to the immediate Hetherington family of the reconstruction of Codys Baptist Church drawn by Harry Claire Mott from Saint John, New Brunswick. The old church was plain, large, but not elaborate. The plans showed that the new building had a belfry, transepts, a kitchen, and a large vestry at the end.
After Judson's sudden death on Sunday, January 29, 1928, while undergoing an operation in Montreal, Quebec, Anna continued to work on the renovations of the building of the new church with the community. The renovations began in the spring of 1928 and were completed by November; the re-dedication ceremony took place on November 11, 1928.
Anna Hetherington donated the sum of $5,000.00 towards the $8,000.00 renovation in memory of her husband, Judson Hetherington, and the church had undertaken to raise a sum of $3,000.00. These sums, however, did not include cost of transepts and memorial windows, pews and various other furnishings donated by Anna Hetherington, or the memorial bell presented by her daughters. Anna Hetherington commissioned two memorial stained glass windows. The first window, a tribute to Judson's parents, Thomas Thorne Hetherington and Violet Douglas (Thorne) which was made by Luxfer Prism Company of Toronto. The second window as a tribute to her late husband Judson (The Light of the World and St. Luke) made by Robert McCausland of Toronto. These windows were donated by Anna Hetherington and placed in the newly created church transepts. Anna would also donate the pews, the memorial bell and various other furnishings. Her daughters, Kate Coleman and Virginia McClure, both of Sikeston, Missouri, presented the church bell inscribed and very practical memorial to their father, Judson E. Hetherington.
The Ladies Aid raised funds for and donated the new organ, and were gratefully thanked, as were also Harry Claire Mott, who had given gratuitous and painstaking service as architect, and Moses Doney, who, with Anna Hetherington, had acted for the church in all business related to details of carrying the work through. The pastor, Reverend B. M. Prangnell, appealed for $400 dollars to complete the amount the church had yet to raise to round out its share of cost. The special offering was taken, after which the choir rendered an anthem.
Dr. F. W. Patterson followed with a sermon, his subject being "The Vine and its Branches." The dedication service was taken responsively by the pastor and congregation, Dr. Patterson offering an impressive dedicatory prayer. Miss Nellie Thompson played "The Hallelujah Chorus" on the organ and the service was concluded with the benediction pronounced by Dr. F. W. Patterson. The musical arrangements were under the direction Mrs. P. M. Prangnell.
It made a great change in an old church and made it one of the nicest churches in the country, as attested to from a newspaper clipping stating: "equipped with facilities far in advance of most country churches."
New sanitary facilities were added to the church in the 1980's and a new electric organ was added in 1986. Eva Robinson's (Dorothy (Robinson) Hetherington's) mother's piano came to live in Palmerston and Dorothy Hetherington's house permanently in the 1960's, subsequently, there was no room for Anna Hetherington's piano in Palmerston and Dorothy's house, which had been given to their daughter Elizabeth by Anna Hetherington in 1954. At that time, Anna Hetherington's piano was placed in the church and used every Sunday to supplement the electric organ and adds much to the church music. Technically, the piano belongs to Elizabeth, but will probably remain in the church for the indefinite present.
A short time later, Anna moved to Sikeston, Missouri, to live with her daughter, Katherine Coleman, until her death on May 13, 1959. Even though she resided in Sikeston, Anna never forgot her links to New Brunswick. Her estate donated $5,000 for the maintenance of the Judson E. Hetherington Memorial Library at Saint John Hospital; and Anna endowed Acadia University with two scholarships specifically for New Brunswick students attending it, in her husband's name; as well as, under her in-laws, Thomas and Violet Hetherington.
Sunday, October 9, 1977, a new memorial window was dedicated at the Codys Baptist Church in memory of the late Reverend Richard W. Hopkins (1888-1951) and over 200 were present including: Mrs. Hopkins (Lillian Gladys Wasson 1894-1990), William (1927-2015), Verna, Anna, William's son Talfryn and grandson Matthew. Reverend Richard William Hopkins was the pastor for Codys United Baptist Church from 1930 until his death in 1951.
Photo: 1st. Hetherington, Michael. A Collection of Memories and Short Stories, by Arthur Palmerston Hetherington, Sr. (2018). First Johnston (Thornetown) Baptist Church. Dedicated. 1877.
Photos: 2 & 3: PANB. 133. Baptist Church at Codys, front view. 132. East side view of the Baptist Church at Codys, Queens County, July 5, 1930.
Text Citation: Hetherington, Michael. A Collection of Memories and Short Stories, by Arthur Palmerston Hetherington, Sr. (2018). pp. 43, 45, 56.
Memorial Windows Splendid Example of Glazier's Art - Special to The Telegraph-Journal, November 26, 1928.
Codys cemetery is in a field by the Washademoak Lake shore on the opposite side of the road from the Baptist Church. The Thornetown Baptist Burying Ground is an extremely old cemetery. There are upwards of at least 75 - 100 unmarked burials. A few individuals known to be buried here were recorded in the records of the Thornetown Baptist Church.
The Hetherington Cemetery is located within the Codys Baptist Cemetery inside an iron gate, and was created from Judson and Anna's land with a need for cemetery space since the original Thornetown Cemetery was "full." The first burial was Dr. Gilbert Hetherington (1853-1925), with Dr. Judson Hetherington (1866-1928) tragically being the second in 1928.
The land for the newer part of Codys Cemetery was donated by Virginia Hetherington in the 1980's and has allowed for more burial spaces.
Photos: 1st photo: Hetherington, Mike. Find A Grave. 17 October 2016.. Photograph. Web. August 15, 2020.
2nd Photo: Blenis, John. Find A Grave. 8 December 2017. Photograph. Web. August 15, 2020. Email. 15 August 2020.
In-Text Citation: Hetherington, Mike. Email. 12 August 2020.
The work farm built by Judson Hetherington in 1906 for his farm hands, across from Hetherburton and was managed by Frank Judson Hetherington for a period of time and later deeded to him in 1926, upon his return from Mt. MIddleton. The farm was later passed down to his son Donald Hetherington (1933-2003).
Photo: Hetherington, Michael. The Hetherington Work Farm c 1920. A Collection of Memories and Short Stories, by Arthur Palmerston Hetherington, Sr. 2018. Photograph. Email. July 20, 2020.
Text citation: Hetherington (2018). p. 42.
Judson and Anna Hetherington lived in a beautiful 26-room mansion, referred to as "Hetherburton", which was meticulously constructed over two years between 1904-1906. This estate consisted of: The main 3-storey house, a large barn with hardwood floors and a basement, a guesthouse, a boathouse, an ice house, a garage, a playhouse and a carriage house.
Charles Henry Doney, Judson's brother-in-law, who was a master carpenter, returned from Boston, Massachusetts, with his family and oversaw the completion of the detailed finished work inside the house from early 1906 until the end of 1907 at Judson's request, and was paid $150/month. While the house was being built, Anna, Judson and their daughters Katherine and Virginia lived across the road in what was known as Fairweather Hall.
Agnes and Caroline Bourgue were two sisters from Lincoln, New Brunswick, that worked for Judson Hetherington and his wife Anna (Lancey) Hetherington in 1926. They had the responsibilities of cooking and cleaning for the family at Hetherburton. Anna and Judson were of Baptist faith while Agnes and her sister were devout Catholics. There were no Catholic churches in the Codys area, the nearest one being in Cambridge-Narrows; St. Patrick's Mission Church. Anna and Judson would make sure that the sisters were able to practice their faith each Sunday there, by arranging transportation to and from Cambridge-Narrows. After Judson's death in 1928, Anna would continue to make the travel arrangements for the sisters each week while they were in Anna's employment. Sadly, Agnes Bourque (1903-1950) would pass away suddenly at just 46 years of age in 1950 from a brain hemorrhage.
In 1909, Anna commissioned John Christopher Miles (1832-1911) of Saint John, New Brunswick, to paint a picture of Fairweather Hall where they temporarily lived, along with a painting of the finished Hetherburton house and nine paintings of Thomas Hetherington's homestead; 1 for each of Thomas' seven children, one for Thomas, and one for Judson and Anna. The painting of Fairweather Hall still remains within the Hetherington family, the painting of Hetherburton went with Anna when she left for Sikeston.
Hetherburton was to later pass into new hands after Anna Hetherington left to make her permanent home in Sikeston, Missouri, to live with her daughter, Katherine Coleman, in 1956. She first offered the house, fully furnished, to the Acadia University to be used for retired clergy, but the university did not want such a large responsibility. Anna then offered the house to Dr. Harold Gamblin Hetherington (1919-1998) and his wife Margaret "Grace" (Hetherington) (1921-2019), but the timing wasn't right.
At that time doctors didn't have a steady income, since Medicare didn't come into effect until 1968 in New Brunswick. Such a large house would have been a financial burden, so the offer was turned down and the house sat on the market for 3 years until 1959 when a gentleman from Germany bought the mansion and tried to make a mushroom farm in the basement of the large barn. It is understood that he later burned the barn down in an effort to collect the insurance and abandoned the property and returned to Germany after authorities learned of his vast debts and wanted to question him.
After he returned to Germany, things gradually deteriorated as the house sat empty and people vandalized and stole from the property. Later Victoria Tapley, from St. Catharines, Ontario, purchased the property and stabilized it (read more here). After which, Glen and Freda Cowan from Moncton, New Brunswick, did much to restore the mansion in the 70's. In 1980, Don and Carol Drury from Fredericton, New Brunswick, assumed ownership. The interior was gradually restored to its former grandeur. In 1987, the Guest Cottage was restored with a new roof and chimney. Its interior is much as it was when Anna Hetherington owned the property. The mahogany woodwork was generally unharmed and undamaged despite the leaky roof. The Guest Cottage looks the same as it did in the 1940's.
In 1925, Judson's brother, Charles Arthur Hetherington (1876-1941) was an eligible bachelor at that time. Judson Hetherington (1866-1928) and Anna Hubbard (Lancey) Hetherington (1873-1959) didn't want him to be alone after his mother's death. Judson and Anna "arranged" his marriage to Leora Crawford Harrison (1880-1965). Under Judson's Last Will and Testament, Leora would be paid $50.00 per month from the date of Judson's death and that amount to be paid to Leora each month after Judson's death, but only while Leora and Judson's brother continue to live together as husband and wife, and upon her death, or the death of Judson's brother, all payments under Judson's Will would cease.
Their wedding took place at Judson and Anna's home (Hetherburton). Leora was 45 and Charles Arthur was 49. The wedding was a quiet one with Charles Arthur's relatives present; Leora's family were all deceased by the time she was 37. Guests included: Miss Arthuretta Branscombe, Luther Richard Hetherington, Violet (Hetherington) Gamblin and James R. Gamblin (Dr. Gilbert Hetherington's daughter and husband), and their sons Robert and Philip of Coles Island; Frank and Alice (Perry) Hetherington of Mt. Middleton; Thomas Palmerston Hetherington of Codys, and his daughter Maggie Nilson, and her daughter Ruth Nilson of Codys, Anna and Judson Hetherington and Arthur Palmerston Hetherington, Sr. (1911-1999). Reverend John Drake Wetmore was the officiating clergyman. Leora and Charles Arthur Hetherington had a happy marriage. Charles Arthur passed away in 1941, at the age of 64. Leora continued living on the family farm in Codys until 1950, after which she moved to Saint John, New Brunswick.
After moving to Saint John, Leora spent much time visiting with her cousin William Henry Hayward and his wife Alice (McDiarmid). She would continue to spend most of her summers in Codys, until Anna Hetherington made her permanent home in Sikeston. Leora passed away in Saint John, February 9, 1965, and was buried beside her husband, Charles Arthur Hetherington, in the Hetherington Cemetery in Codys. Grave site Details The Hetherington Private Cemetery is located within the Codys Baptist Cemetery (Inside Iron Gate). Dr. Gilbert Hetherington was the first to be buried in the Hetherington cemetery in 1925.
Fairweather Hall, Codys, New Brunswick, across the road from Hetherburton, where Dr. Judson Egbert Hetherington, his wife Anna Hubbard (Lancey), and their daughters, Katherine and Virginia Hetherington, temporarily lived while Hetherburton was being constructed. Painted in 1909 by J. C. Miles. Thomas Hetherington's farm can be seen in the background along with sailboats on the lake.
Photos: Featured Photo. Hetherington, Michael. The Edwardian Mansion of Dr. Judson Egbert Hetherington and Anna (Lancey). Photograph. Email. July 20, 2020.
Secondary Images: PANB. Home of Mrs. Anna Hetherington at Codys, New Brunswick, Queens County. July 5, 1930. Photograph. Email. July 15, 2020.
Hetherington, Michael. Charles Arthur Hetherington (1876-1941). Leora Crawford (Harrison) Hetherington (1880-1965). Photograph. Email. July 20, 2020.
Hetherington, Michael. J. C. Miles painting. Fairweather Hall, (1909). Photograph. Email. July 20, 2020.
In-Text Citation: Hetherington, Michael. A Collection of Memories and Short Shorties, by Arthur Palmerston Hetherington, Sr. 2018. pp. 37, 44, 45 58, 67
The Hetherington Homestead was built on land owned by Richard Hetherington (1799-1890). This house was built by Thomas Thorne Hetherington (1830-1913) and passed to his son Charles Arthur Hetherington (1876-1941). The house was later purchased in 1941 by his nephew Arthur Palmerston Hetherington (1911-1999) and his wife Dorothy (Robinson) (1914-1995).
In June of 1976, Pally and Dorothy decided to convert the swamp in the back of the barn into a pond, which would serve as a water source in case of fire. During the summer of 1977, Hazen Pugsley (1920-2009) completed the grading around the new pond and bulldozed the brush field around the shore. He also dug a large hole and buried the old hog house.
Photos: Featured photos. Hetherington, Michael. The Charles Arthur Hetherington Homestead, 1920, 1930, 1950. Photograph. Email. July 8, 2020.
Secondary Image. Hetherington, Michael. 1980's aerial view of The Hetherington Homestead. Photograph. Email. July 20, 2020.
In-text citation: Hetherington, Michael. A Collection of Memories and Short Stories, by Arthur Palmerston Hetherington, Sr. 2018. pp. 38, 51, 55, 56.
Thomas Palmerston Hetherington (1863-1926) built this house in 1903 after the original structure was destroyed by fire. It would later become the Codys United Baptist Parsonage about 1930 and would remain so until 2011, when the Baptist Church sold the house to a private owner.
The finances for building the new house were borrowed from Dr. Judson Hetherington (1866-1928). Judson took over the property as security for indebtedness. Times were hard and eventually the property came under full ownership of Judson Hetherington. The house was later sold in 1920 to Walker Alford Perry, who lived there with his wife Ethel Maude (Armstrong) until July, 1930. At that time, the house was sold and became the Codys United Baptist Parsonage. Frank Hetherington bought the land surrounding the parsonage.
Photos: 1st Photo: Hetherington, Michael. Thomas Palmerston Hetherington Homestead. 1903. Photograph. Email. July 20, 2020.
2nd & 3rd Photos. Crannie, Kevin. Codys United Baptist Parsonage. 1995 - 1997. Photograph. JPEG file.
In-text citation: Hetherington, Michael. A Collection of Memories and Short Stories, by Arthur Palmerston Hetherington, Sr. 2018. pp. 10, 11.